So on Saturday, we set off for Pisa for some awesome photo ops. In my opinion, Pisa does not have too many sights to see other than the duomo, leaning tower, and baptistry. The lawn surrounding these buildings is always full of people posing with the tower. So we joined. And tried to be more creative.




After a quick lunch, (the sign above said some thing like “sandwich quick go-go”) we got back on the train for Cinque Terre. Thinking I could be spontaneous for once and just leave a few things unplanned, I did not book us a room in Monterosso. Four years ago, we had no problem finding housing for the 20 or so people we traveled with- but that was in May. July and August are very different stories. Poor Hillary and Kelly followed me around while I frantically tried to hunt us down a room. For about 3 hours. They were so sweet and positive! I thank them for that. I refused to do anything until we had a place to sleep; I felt so bad! Finally, we spoke with a family that owned an apartment and they agreed to rent out one of the rooms to us. Praise the LORD! Oh and this family spoke like no English, so thank you Italian lessons! That was the first sign that I was really learning something in my classes.
As soon as we got to our place, we turned back around and went straight to the ocean. And at 8:00, we went swimming. It was so refreshing! After a quick change on the beach, we went to dinner. (Romy- same place as we went 4 years ago!) It was delicious and we had a wonderful time enjoying the scenery and each other’s company.
The next morning after a traditional Italian breakfast (cornetto and café), we got up and started our hike! We took the train to Riomaggiore and began with the Via Dell'Amore (Love Walk), on through the next few cities of Manarola, Cornigila, and finally to Vernazza.

It was SO HOT. We got to Vernazza around 2:00 and immediately jumped in the water. So refreshing again. Then we enjoyed a lovely lunch out on the pier, overlooking the ocean and cliffs. It was perfect.
We decided to take a long lunch and explore Vernazza a little bit, and just return to Firenze. (Since we had already explored Monterosso the night prior). We got home late and ate dinner with my roommates. It was a wonderful weekend.

Amy, all these pics remind me of parts of Greece in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2! Looks like an awesome place! How long are you planning on staying in Italy?
ReplyDeleteOh man, this post probably makes me the most jealous... I love, love, LOVE Cinque Terre! And you get to go the THREE times! Eating at the restaurant was one of our best nights. The food was delicoius and the view was spectacular! And the hike was so much fun! Remember I saw that huge dog and wanted to pet it. It was really dirty. haha And I don't remember how, but I got left behind and ran the last leg of the trail to catch up to everyone. lol These pictures are gorgeous. I wish I was there!
ReplyDeleteI fotgot to say anything about Pisa! I loved your pics! Those poses are really creative, and it's true, that that's the only reason to go to Pisa. Remember our little picnic?! Also, it was so easy for us to find a room in Cinque Terre. Didn't we rent from this man who sold Olive Oil? I can't believe it took you forever, but glad your Italian came in handy for this!
ReplyDelete