Our last full day in Munich was Saturday the 23rd, so Anny and I decided to go on a tour of Dachau, a former concentration camp just outside of Munich. Anny took the sepia pictures, and I think it best represents the mood for the day. It was overcast, a little rainy, and (or course) shockingly sad.
The gate to the prisoner’s area is quite famous for it’s saying “Arbeit Macht Frei,” which translates to “Work will make you free.” It was just one of the propaganda-oriented lies within the camp.
We learned that Dachau was the first concentration camp set up by Hitler in 1933, and it served as the model for all of the other concentration camps. The SS soldiers were trained there and possibly 200,000 imprisoned during the 12 years it was open.
It was a day to remember although very sad. It was shocking to be in the same rooms, walking the same paths, and seeing places where such a gruesome history took place.
After our tour of Dachau, Anny and I decided we wanted a tour of German chocolate. We bought some Ritter Sport and Marzipan, and headed back to the hostel.
We walked around seeing more sights of Munich that we didn’t have time to see before on our tour or bike ride.
With no time for a tour or entry, we just walked to the Residenz Palace and took pictures in the courtyard.
The park out behind the palace is very pretty, so we explored there for a while. We even saw a “beer & bike tour” go by! How crazy does that look?
Anny and I decided we needed to try “real” German desserts while we were in Germany, so we went to a restaurant and ordered the apple strudel and German chocolate cake. Honestly, they were less than satisfying. I don’t think Germans use much sugar. Very disappointed.
With a sweet start to our dinner, we continued on in search of pretzels filled with cream cheese (a recommendation from Rachel Checchia). We found some with chives and ate them- they were SO delicious.
Our last stop was another beer house- recommended by locals called Augustiner Keller. There was music and dancing, and lots of people dressed in the traditional German dirndls and lederhose. Anny and I sat outside and enjoyed the lovely night.
We got up super early the next day, caught a bus to the airport, and flew back to Pisa. I don’t normally take lots of pictures out the windows of airplanes (okay yeah I do), but this was such a pretty view!

No comments:
Post a Comment