We took so many pictures; I had to break it into two posts.
We left Firenze about lunchtime, and arrived in München around 8:30 that night. I saw my first German mustache in the train station. The first of many.
We found our hostel (it’s named Wombats) and they greeted us with mini-glasses of beer. Anny and I were so tired, we just hung out in the atrium of our hostel and talked that night.
The next day started early with a walking tour of the city. It was very cold.
Here are some pictures of the new town hall building (Neues Rathaus) and the infamous Glockenspiel.
>
This is the Munich cathedral (Frauenkirche), and then some more sights around town including the market, theater and my first Starbucks beverage in months. Our guide said this cathedral was the home church of the current pope!
The church shown below was my favorite. It’s the color of mustard on the outside (very German, ha!) and pure white inside. I believe it’s called St. Cajetan (Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan).
After the tour, Anny and I went to the world’s most famous beer house, Hofbräuhaus. Even though it’s very touristy, we had to go. We drank our first half-liters of beer and ate sausage. Very German. Anny ordered the white sausage and a kind (or maybe creepy) German man: 1. Taught her how to eat it, 2. Fed it to her. It was hilarious and I have a video as proof. Out of kindness to Anny, I won’t post. You’re welcome.
We found some interesting sculptures around town, then met a friend of mine for dinner. Laura was in my Italian class for one week a few months ago and she lives in Munich. The three of us went to an Italian restaurant for dinner (we needed salad!!!)
The name of the restaurant is “Va Piano” or “Go Slow.” Anny told me I needed to memorize the motto because I eat way too fast- the card says “Who goes slow, goes healthy, goes long.” AKA eating slowly/living slowly is good for your health.
After dinner, Anny and I found this totally random Michael Jackson tribute. Apparently, it’s a statue to someone else, but just located in front of a hotel MJ used to stay in when he visited Munich. Candles were lit, people left paintings and notes to MJ, and we saw some women leaving flowers. Wow.

In that picture of Anny with the lady statue-- you're supposed to rub her boobs for good luck. Or something like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to get caught up before you come to my house!! I'm soooo behind! Munich is beautiful, I've been there too. Crazy MJ memorial though... haha
ReplyDelete