Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Last Day in ITALY

Wow, it seems crazy! I’ve been living in Italy for six months, and now I am saying goodbye and packing up.

I’ve fallen in love with this city, the people, the language, and the culture of Italy. It’s amazing how the Lord placed everything in front of me and made this trip even possible. I am thankful every single day. So with a sad heart I say goodbye, but with a glad heart I return to the states- to my family, my friends, and my FIANCE. (That’s you, Paul)

I’ve learned so much while I have been living here, but I think the most important thing I have learned is just how similar we all are- Americans, Italians, Romanians, Israelis, Greeks, Austrians, Norweigans, Chinese, etc… I love love love my international friends! It’s amazing how people with such different backgrounds and cultures can all come together and become such wonderful friends.

Another thing I learned was the Italian way of life. It reminds me of the verse in Matthew that says, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” When you live in Italy, you just don’t worry about what’s going to happen tomorrow. You live in the moment. And you learn to cherish every day. If you feel compelled to cook dinner one day, you just invite your friends that afternoon and have a feast a few hours later. And then instead of hurrying through dinner in order to get to another event or party- you sit. And you enjoy the conversation and company around you. You don’t worry about how late it is; because sleep is not as important as people.

It’s the completely opposite of my life in Atlanta (and Florida). I was planning things every single night of the week and hardly making time to sit and relax. I had to schedule one night a week for myself- so I could grocery shop and do laundry! On weekends, I’d try to stay busy- I could have one Saturday with 4 or 5 different events. I packed things in. And now I am realizing that it is not healthy. In Firenze, if I leave the house to go to school and the grocery store in one day, that is a successful day. I’ve learned we do not need to find our value in getting things accomplished, or being super productive. God wants us to relax and rejoice in the moment.

There are many other things I have learned from living in Italy and I would love to tell you everything… but this is my last day and I need to go live in the moment and soak it all in.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Ames--- I'm sitting here at school at lunch and tearing up over your entry! So proud of you for taking the big step of going out there. Sad you're leaving, but can't wait to see you! I hear the kids screaming in the halls and need to go collect them now :)

    ReplyDelete