Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Roma!

For our last fun trip in Italy, Paul and I spent a few days in Rome. We took an early regional train to Rome on Thursday the 2nd and got in around lunchtime. After settling into our place, we quickly turned around and headed towards the center of town. Our first view of Rome was perfect- Bernini’s Triton Fountain!

Bernini defines Rome, so I think it’s appropriate that his sculpture welcomed us into the Eternal City. We walked to the Trevi Fountain and then down in the direction of the Colosseum. We stopped at the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II. Pretty much a ginormous, expensive monument to one man. As you can see this thing is huge and completely white, so much so that it burned our eyes to look at the building. After that experience, we decided sunglasses were a necessity. Paul haggled with a street vendor to get some sweet shades for just 10 euros total (down from 25 euros).





And then there was the Colosseum! Really an amazing structure for the times… can you believe they filled this place with water and had ship battles? Thousands upon thousands of people and animals were killed in this building.


We learned that when a gladiator was about to kill his opponent, he looked to the emperor for direction. Thumbs up meant life, and thumbs down meant death. Paul is a much kinder person than me.


Next was the ancient Roman Forum and ruins. We were very thankful to have a Rick Steves guidebook to take us through this area.



Thanks, Rick Steves!

A little past the Colosseum is the Bocca della Verita, or “Mouth of Truth.” Legend has it that if you put your hand in the mouth and then tell a lie it will bite off your hand. Paul said, “Braves win the world series!” I was really surprised when he pulled his hand back out.


We stopped by Michelangelo’s Moses and said hey, then picked up some pizza and pasta to eat at home.

The next day we went to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter’s. Here are some highlights: Raphael’s School of Athens, Raphael’s Disputa, the Apollo Belvedere, Laocoön, and Bernini’s masterpieces in St. Peter’s. (Also some illegal photos of the Sistine Chapel- PAUL).













We ran into a coworker from BBDO in St. Peters- EMILY BOEDECKER!

After Vatican City, we went to the Spanish Steps to watch people. We got to the Pantheon just as the doors closed (boo!)




I finally got to visit the Turtle Fountain- a favorite in Rome. We ate dinner in Campo dei Fiori and then visited the Piazza Navona.



I’m starting to realize these are all getting really long. So to summarize the rest of our trip-

Saturday we got up super early for our appt at the Galleria Borghese!!!!!!! It’s like Bernini heaven with his Apollo & Daphne, David, and the Pluto & Persephone all in one palace. Oh and a huge collection of Caravaggio paintings, too!


We visited Bernini’s St. Teresa in Ecstasy and then returned to the Pantheon.




For Paul’s last night in Italy, we had some delicious pizza with mozzerella di bufala and Vivoli gelato!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, these are long, but don't summarize! I want details! Rome looked like a fun trip. I love the Colosseum (and the necklace you wore that day)! Sweet shades and props to Paul for heckling and taking pictures in the Sistine Chapel, EVERYBODY does it! Did you know Emily was going to be there or did you literally run into her? Remember when we ran into my friend Jess in Florence? That was funny. I like Pauls hotdog picture, and I like that you took him to vivoli! I'm sad for you that he had to go home. booo! But I think you did a good job showing him everything!

    *In my last post, which I did not proof read, I made an terrible error and I assure you I know better. I wrote "here" instead of "hear." My b.

    ReplyDelete